Prior to Your Surgery
- Specific individual instructions will be provided by your physician before you come to the center.
- You should not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night prior to your procedure, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- Each patient must sign a consent form before the procedure. Patients under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign the consent form.
- Please leave all jewelry and valuables at home.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to take off and put on.
- Please bring a list of your current medications and your insurance or Medicare ID cards.
- Be prepared to make a payment/co-payment at the time of your procedure.
- Please arrange to have someone stay at the center during your procedure. You will not be able to drive afterward.
When You Arrive
- Please notify the receptionist of your arrival.
- Your insurance/Medicare card will be copied and returned to you.
- You will be asked to complete your health history forms and to make a payment/co-payment.
- A nurse will talk with you and record your vital signs, allergies and other patient information.
- An I.V. will be started so that we may give you intravenous medication to help you relax and feel more comfortable.
- Your family/driver will wait in our comfortable waiting room until you are discharged.
- If you use a CPAP, we encourage you to bring your unit with you.
After Your Surgery
Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for care while recovering at home. In the event of difficulty, please call your surgeon.
For the first 24 hours following surgery, do not engage in strenuous activities. Do not drink any alcoholic beverages, drive or make any critical decisions.
A nurse from New Jersey Surgery Center will call you within a day or two to evaluate how you are recovering at home. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire about the care you received. Your comments will enable us to continue to improve our services.